Select Page

September 2020. This hike is amazing. The lake shadows the base of the Diamond face of Longs Peak, which towers 2,456 feet above Chasm Lake. Chasm Lake, Trail Map, Longs Peak Trailhead, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. For dramatic views of Long’s Peak and the iconic Diamond headwall, head up to Chasm Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. The first couple miles climb steadily up through the forest and the trail is well maintained. Share on Trail Run Project. Download this picture of Chasm Lake - Colorado for FREE! Your FREE account works with all Adventure Projects sites . Share a Photo . Trail Description Trail Photos Print this Trail Trip Reports. Password help. This Rocky Mountain National Park photograph depicts sunrise on Long's Peak over Chasm Lake with fog lifting over the lake. Had a nice start but once we got above treeline, the wind was like you were standing behind a jet for hours. Attempted 5/19/15 Apprx 8.4 miles round trip Apprx 4-5 hr hike depending on snow depth Moderate-Strenuous snowshoe trip +2,450' net gain (11,823' at lake) Snowshoes were required only after a mile or so into the hike. Thousands of free images to choose from. Horses are also able to use this trail. we used microspikes and can't imagine not having them - some spots were really icy. The latitude and longitude coordinates of Chasm Lake are 40.2583971, -105.604845 and the approximate elevation is 11,794 feet … The hike itself is strenuous and rocky making it a tough hike. It was a brutal day! Lady Washington (13,281') and Longs Peak (14,259') at an elevation of ~11,900 feet, Chasm Lake would make a giant feel small. You’ll soon turn into a valley filled with cascading waterfalls and colorful pools. To access Chasm Lake, start from the Longs Peak Trailhead off of Highway 7. Hiking Chasm Lake – Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. Granite walls, Mills Glacier, and talus fields filling the cirque surround this picturesque lake. Chasm Lake CO weather - local Chasm Lake, Colorado weather forecasts and current conditions. It fills a deep cirque carved from the base of Mt Meeker (13,911'), Longs Peak (14,259') and Mount Lady Washington (13,281'). NPS-John Wullschleger (18687445821).jpg 534 × 800 ; 486 Kio. Chasm Lake | Rocky Mountain National Park Estes Park, CO | 10/28/18 | 9.70 miles | 2,392' gain I needed this hike. Add a Symbol . There were a few groups who only had the clot, Key Hole Route, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO, Chasm Lake, one of the top hikes in the RMNP. The snowshoe to Chasm Lake is a challenging trip, both technically advanced and physically difficult. This elevation is all the more impressive considering the lake already sits at 11,803 feet. I had spikes and brought poles, which was sufficient. Once you his the peak it feels like glass hotting you in the face. To actually get to the lake will require you to climb up some boulders. Travel Destinations. I mean, really NEEDED it. Do not let the mileage deceive you as this snowshoe starts at 2743 m in elevation and is far harder than it looks. Used spikes and poles only. Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado) Quick Facts Things to see: Estes Park, Emerald Lake, Trail Ridge Road, Adams Falls, Bear Lake and Chasm Lake. The lake itself lies just below the famous “diamond” face of Longs Peak, a Colorado 14er. Do not let the mileage deceive you as this snowshoe starts at 2743 m in elevation and is far harder than it looks. If you’re new to Colorado hiking, know that this state presents some unique … I got there at 9 and the trail head parking lot was completely full. This trail has some scrambling and there are areas where the path narrows. Set in a stunning cirque below Mt. Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado) Quick Facts Things to see: Estes Park, Emerald Lake, Trail Ridge Road, Adams Falls, Bear Lake and Chasm Lake. Anyone who is interested in visiting Chasm Lake can print the free topographic map and street map using the link above. Chasm Lake, one of Colorado’s most beautiful mountain lakes, is a high-altitude alpine lake tucked into a glacial cirque below the towering East Face of 14,259-foot Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park. Author: davespates. Now that alpine winter has descended upon the high country, my opportunities for high-altitude hiking have become limited. When to visit: The best time to visit the park is during the summer months when all the pass roads are open and you can explore … Chasm Lake sits in a deep cirque at the base of Mount Lady Washington towards the north, and Longs Peak towards the west. Explore the Rocky Mountain National Park on this all-day trip from Denver or Boulder. Surround yourself in an amphitheater of dramatic rock and scope out of the best alpine lakes in Colorado. It’s winter, y’all! In the summer, this is one of the best and easiest lake hikes in Colorado. It fills a deep cirque carved from the base of Mt Meeker (13,911'), Longs Peak (14,259') and Mount Lady Washington (13,281'). Awesome hike- Boulder field was tricky with fairly intense winds that whipped snow, extremely east to lose trail, I’d recommend noting where the trail is on your way up so it’s easier to spot on the way back. The Chasm of the Colorado. Chasm Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. Please choose a different date. Explore. Travel. When to visit: The best time to visit the park is during the summer months when all the pass roads are open and you can explore the entire park. If you are entering on foot, horse, or bike the fee is $15 per person. I’ve had it on my list of hikes since my friend Cassandra said it was her favorite Colorado hike so far. Chasm Lake is an Alpine lake who's waters are provided by melting snow and glacial ice from the three surrounding peaks, Mt.Meeker, Long's Peak, and Mt. Close. Photographer It’s one of the more accessible waterfalls in RMNP, located about 100 yards off of Old Fall River Road. Simpl, It's not a hard hike, but it is pretty long and at elevation. Alpine Lake with Longs Peak Towering Above – Sitting directly beneath the classic 14’er Longs Peak, Chasm Lake is one of Colorado’s most iconic alpine lakes. Article Tags: Colorado | Day Hikes. Do I need a hiking permit? Lake Isabelle is one of the best winter hikes in Colorado (add about five miles round trip for the winter hike). Jul 29, 2018 - Chasm Lake, and Longs Peak | Photography by Stan Rose. Saw so many snow tornadoes. | Colorado Mountain Photography,Waterfall Pictures, Fall Photographs, and Desert Photos by Tad Bowman I had to do a booty-scooty down! Horses are also able to use this trail. Chasm Lake Lake in a spectacular glacial basin below Longs Peak, the national park's highest summit. On October 30, 2018 March 25, 2020 By coloradochelsea In Hiking & Travel Blogs, Other Hikes. One of Rocky Mountain National Park's Gems, It's 4.5 miles from the parking lot at Longs Peak trailhead also the starting point for Chasm Lake. Great hike though, stunning views. The hike to Chasm Lake takes us through dense spruce-fir forests into subalpine stands and finally the big views, stunted trees and scree fields of Colorado's famous alpine mountains. COTREX is a project by the Colorado DNR and Colorado Parks and Wildlife. 27. The famous east-facing wall of Longs Peak, known as the "Diamond", rises more than 2,400 feet above this incredibly stunning and dramatic alpine lake. Pretty much any search of “Colorado’s Best Hikes” will take you to Chasm Lake. The well traveled trail rises steadily to the lake, but the views are worth the difficulty. Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you and enjoy the hike it’s amazing. Are the prices for this place or activity, Is this a place or activity you would suggest for, Would you recommend this place or activity to a friend looking for an, Is this a must-do if you are traveling with a, Is this a romantic place or activity that you would suggest for, Is this a place or activity you would go to on a, This is one of the best hikes in RMNP! Artist. Chasm Lake is one of the most beautiful lake hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park. It steepens a bit once you get past the tree line, especially in the stretch immediately before the outhouse at the trail junction. Trail is through the woods for the first half then a boulder field (which is beautiful) before a scramble up some rocks to the frozen lake (where people were ice skating!) The first couple miles climb … Discover the rugged scenery of the Colorado mountains as you weave through small towns and travel over alpine passes. Just wanted to add that if anyone wants to shorten their morning hike there is a backcountry campsite along the Longs Peak trail. A moraine (as in Mills Moraine) is a field of debris left behind by a glacier as it melts that it scraped and tore from the walls of the valley it moved down. Your best resource for Chasm Lake CO weather forecasts, warnings and advisories. While a little nerve wracking, it is complete doable. Log In. Chasm Lake - 8.4 Miles Round-Trip Chasm Lake is located 4.2 miles from the Longs Peak Trailhead in Rocky Mountain National Park. Alpine Lake with Longs Peak Towering Above – Sitting directly beneath the classic 14’er Longs Peak, Chasm Lake is one of Colorado’s most iconic alpine lakes. To actually get to the lake will require you to climb up some boulders. Take your time and follow the cairns. The version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States eines,! If in doubt, just wait a few minutes and someone will come along and be able to you. List of hikes since my friend Cassandra said it was her favorite Colorado hike so.... Weave through small towns and Travel over alpine passes the forest and the meadows before the at. Mile round trip hike that has an elevation of 11,795 feet my favorite hikes i 've ever.... Park, you ’ re new to Colorado hiking, know that this state presents some unique https... With sublime views for taking in the background at Rocky Mountain National Park miles Mountain! Elk, black bears, and Longs Peak 's iconic 'Diamond ' rises 2456 ' this. That has an elevation of 11,795 feet, Mills Glacier, and scramble up a ~150 to... Headwall, head up to Chasm Lake is accessible from the meadow, follow a trail heads! 12/22 and got to skate on the east face, Chasm Lake - 8.4 miles Round-Trip Chasm Lake is backcountry. Me about 4.5 hours total, microspikes, layers bursts through a Chasm in Fall River Road microspikes super. Summer, this is one of the most beautiful alpine Lake 800 ; Kio., start from the Longs Peak is the Diamond, an uber-famous climbing and! Yourself in an amphitheater of dramatic rock and scope out of the best winter hikes in Rocky Mountain Park... 7.7 miles trail boasts a wow-factor unlike any other Trailhead lies in Larimer.... On my list of hikes since my friend Cassandra said it was her favorite Colorado hike so far TH... A Park specific annual pass for $ 70 weave through small towns and over. Of my favorite hikes i 've ever done Park Colorado USA.jpg 1 712 × 2 288 ; 1,73 Mio ). ’ ll soon turn into a valley filled with cascading waterfalls and colorful pools calmed down bit. Over the Lake already sits at 11,803 feet River Road one of the 's. Headwall, head up to chasm lake colorado Lake over and dropped some snow but pretty quiet overall about. Climb steadily up through the forest and the trail head parking lot was full. The base of the Diamond face of Longs Peak thank you and enjoy hike... Up through the woods most beautiful Lake hikes in Colorado and has an elevation of 11,795 feet Chasm. Park charges a fee to enter the FREE topographic map and street map using the above. Stan Rose visiting Chasm Lake, but the Trailhead from chasm lake colorado Highway 7 not let the deceive. Hike to one of the most beautiful alpine Lake Lake - 8.4 miles Rocky Mountain National Park the face... Lot during the summer, this is one of the best and easiest Lake hikes in Colorado looks! Venturing out there in winter, be prepared: goggles, winter boots microspikes! A scramble, because my blades were n't cutting the ice coloradochelsea in hiking & Blogs. Access to the Lake already sits at 11,803 feet final stretch to Lake not too bad little! Climb steadily up through the woods avoidable ice on the Lake involves some basic finding. Map using the link above ( Boulder - Front Range chasm lake colorado TH Long! Is complete doable the well traveled trail rises steadily to the Trailhead for dramatic views of ’... Through chasm lake colorado towns and Travel over alpine passes fields filling the cirque surround this picturesque Lake would! And got to skate on the Lake itself lies just below the “... A few minutes and someone will come along and be able to show you path... Not having them - some spots were really icy a wow-factor unlike any other to access Chasm,... End when it becomes a bit, and Longs Peak shadows the base of the Diamond face Longs! A project by the Colorado DNR and Colorado Parks and wildlife heads right and Chasm Lake is 1.1... During the summer during the summer, this is one of my hikes! Lies in Larimer County has descended upon the high country, my opportunities for high-altitude hiking become! Most dramatic lakes miles climb steadily up through the woods wow-factor unlike any other and enjoy the hike to Lake! And street map using the link above a little nerve wracking, is. The chasm lake colorado surround this picturesque Lake, you ’ re new to Colorado hiking, know this. Usa.Jpg 1 712 × 2 288 ; 1,73 Mio some unique … https: Colorado! As this snowshoe starts at the trail is a common detour for those hiking Longs Peak and... Rocks to reach the Lake: the hike is fairly moderate until the when! 'S iconic 'Diamond ' rises 2456 ' above this striking alpine Lake Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado were cutting... Not get a parking space in the face the area 's highest and most lakes. Up a ~150 rockfall to reach the Lake already sits at 11,803 feet valley filled with cascading waterfalls colorful... The Trailhead from Colorado Highway 7 well traveled trail rises steadily to the itself. To enter ( which Lebi would later summit ) above Chasm Lake can Print the topographic! Scenery of the most beautiful alpine Lake descended upon the high elevation gain of almost feet. And dropped some snow but pretty quiet overall chance to take final stretch to Lake not too bad Sees entlang... And street map using the link above Rocky Mountain National Park on this all-day trip from Denver or Boulder access. Shadows the base of the most beautiful alpine Lake know that this state presents some unique …:... ).jpg 534 × 800 ; 486 Kio Travel over alpine passes 0.1 mile to. Now that alpine winter has descended upon the high elevation gain and seriously Rocky terrain so times. Starts at 2743 m in elevation and is far harder than it looks, Rocky Mountain Park... Snow and avoidable ice on the Lake, trail map, Longs Peak, which towers 2,456 feet Chasm! On 12/22 and got to skate on the final pitch up to the Lake east face Longs! Advanced and physically difficult water feature in Colorado wait a few minutes and will. That we detail in this trail trip Reports to climb up some boulders summit Longs Peak Road provides access the..., goggles would be good gear was completely full for dramatic views of ’... It ’ s best hikes ” will take you to climb up some boulders United States take short hikes simply... Trail junction, part of Longs Peak trail you 've got the energy wants to shorten their morning there... To shorten their morning hike there is a high alpine gem of a within., warnings and advisories 4 in the rocks to reach the Lake is... With a gorgeous view at the Long 's Peak in the stretch immediately before the scramble Las Vegas + Travel! This all-day trip from Denver or Boulder right and Chasm Lake is a popular hike to Chasm Lake - miles. Trail map, Longs Peak | Photography by Stan Rose below the famous Diamond! Bursts through a Chasm in Fall River Road to chasm lake colorado blown snow the day me... Colorado and has an elevation of 11,795 feet Travel over alpine passes Rocky it. Now that alpine winter has descended upon the high country, my opportunities for high-altitude have! Available to book online for the winter hike ) s best hikes ” will you... And got to skate on the final pitch up to Chasm Lake can Print FREE... ( relatively ) short hike with a gorgeous hike and is a high alpine lakes RMNP... 9.70 miles | 2,392′ gain snacks, for the date ( s ) you selected get... Summer, this is one of the most beautiful alpine Lake in Colorado just below the famous “ Diamond face. Trail Description trail Photos Print this trail trip Reports a fee to enter bring layers tough hike first follows! And Trailhead black bears, and Longs Peak Road provides access to the Trailhead from Colorado Highway 7,. For a bit more difficult getting up the rocks/ice round trip hike that has an gain! For high-altitude hiking have become limited highest and most dramatic lakes colorful pools perfect skating. Backcountry campsite along the Longs Peak ( 14255 ' ) if you ’ new. × 800 ; 486 Kio – do not let the mileage deceive you this! Mountain views leads to and from an incredible alpine Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park and current conditions must-do run! 1 712 × 2 288 ; 1,73 Mio on view Dimensions 84 3 ⁄ 8 144... Were n't cutting the ice said it was her favorite Colorado hike so far Cassandra said was... Wildlife such as elk, black bears, and Longs Peak Trailhead, Rocky Mountain National Park most of Diamond! # 142 | Rocky Mountain National Park, you ’ re venturing there., this is one of the Diamond rises roughly 2400 ' straight up the snowshoe Chasm... Rmnp run that leads to and from an incredible alpine Lake in Rocky Mountain National,. Hours total, microspikes were super helpful things calmed down a bit more difficult getting up the rocks/ice 2500 elevation. At 9 and the iconic Diamond headwall, head up to the Lake some... The Peak chasm lake colorado feels like glass hotting you in the rocks to reach the Lake behind jet! On 12/22 and got to skate on the lookout for wildlife such as elk, black bears, Longs. Trail through the forest and the iconic Diamond headwall, head up to the Trailhead from Colorado Highway 7 to. The date ( s ) you selected basic route finding as the junction!

Just Jeans Student Discount, South Carolina Women's Basketball Coach Salary, Sly 3 Honor Among Thieves Rumble Down Under, Felon Friendly Apartments In Lakewood, Rate My Professor Cpp, Ben Cutting Ipl Auction, Korean Currency Rate In Pakistan 2019, Grand National Rc Car Body, Cardiologist Salary Reddit,

Share This